Touchstone's Merriment

Welcome to this Bardolist's glimpse to our multi-layered universe.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Some Thoughts on As You Like It


I actually recently saw this play. Last summer the girlfriend and I travelled back to the homeland to see this play staged at Stratford Shakespeare Festival in lovely Ontario, Canada. Somewhat appropriately we arrived in this small rural community in Volkswagon Vanagon to watch a play set in the 1960s complete with hippies. This was a fantastic rendition of the play. Rosalind came across as by the far the superior character in the performance. Bloom believed her to best comic hero yet conceived in the Western cannon. After seeing this play, I had to agree. To see a play acted is considerable better reading, no matter what Bloom may feel about this issue. Interesting, it was Touchstone's part that captivated my attention. His character clearly had the feeling of 1950s polyester suit "swingin'" kind of guy lost amongst the granola chuggin, tree-hugging hippies around him. It really was a interesting and contemporary take on the anti-pastoral conventions. I suppose I somewhat embraced him as character, as I the big city boy loose here in quaint Mountain-walled Montana. I love a little of both, but man, what I wouldn't give on some days for a coney dog, a ride on the people mover, and to stare at Diego Rivas' Murals at the DIA. And yes, that's a picture from the performance. Good old Hymen has joined the Hippies on stage. Where's my stash at?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home