Touchstone's Merriment

Welcome to this Bardolist's glimpse to our multi-layered universe.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Quick Thoughts on Richard II

I have to admit this play was far from captivating the first time I watched it/read it. After reading both Blooms and Frye's thoughts on the play I really started to see some fantastic elements in it. The poetic nature of the lines I think, can really throw one off from the content. More than anything, this is a beautifully written play. The prose that we so commonly see in Shakespeare is rather absent in this particular work. I'm looking a little more in depth at this work in my final paper, so I'll be saving the description of much of my insight of the play until then. The one thing I do want to leave in this short discussion is the importance of both Dharma and Procrastination in regards to the main characters. There really isn't much in the way of likable qualities in Richard. He's a poor ruler, and self-centred, and thus equally poor, poet. Poet's look outward, and that's something he does not do. In the same way so do great leaders. Being "annointed" by God as king, it quite obvious what Dharma he was putting off in the course of his actions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home